Special Use Permits

A special use permit is needed to participate in certain activities on conservation areas, including:

  • Groups of more than 10 people for camping, horseback riding, bicycling, and use of shooting ranges
  • Individuals with mobility disabilities who wish to operate other powered mobility devices (including all-terrain vehicles, off-road vehicles, utility vehicles, or other motorized vehicles) on Department roads that are closed to public vehicular traffic or off-trail
  • Furbearer trapping
  • Placement of geocaches and letterboxes
  • Other group or special activities at the discretion of the area manager

Not all requests for special use permits will be granted. Conservation areas are primarily for fishing, hunting, nature observation, and conservation education. Primary public uses are encouraged on all Department areas, with few exceptions.

Other public uses of Department areas may be appropriate and are evaluated locally using statewide Public Use Guidelines.

Public Use Guidelines

The following guidelines will be considered when determining if a public use is appropriate:

  1. Will the activity interfere with or in any way compromise management of the Conservation Area’s fish, forest, wildlife, and natural communities?
  2. Will the activity conflict with local ordinances, state constitution, Department regulations, Commission policy or Federal Aid requirements?
  3. Will the activity cause an unacceptable level of damage to natural resources or facilities?
  4. Is the long-term impact of the proposed activity—and the commitment in budget and staffing—fully evaluated and understood?
  5. Will the activity conflict with scheduled or seasonal primary public uses?
  6. Will the activity require undue accommodation from Department staff, including reservations, special setup, cleanup, or maintenance?
  7. Will the activity impede foot, boat, or vehicular traffic flow, or restrict access to area locales normally open to the general public?
  8. Will the activity pose a threat to public health, safety, and welfare?

Examples of inappropriate uses

Inappropriate uses of Department areas include, but are not limited to: paint balling; hot air ballooning; use of hang gliders, ultra-light aircraft, powered parachutes; radio-controlled airplane/boat/vehicle use; car shows; music festivals; non-government military training; commercial audio, movie, and video making; modeling and catalog shoots; off-road use of motorized vehicles; rock climbing and rappelling; and mineral prospecting and extraction.

When do I need to submit my special use permit application?

Applications should be submitted at least four weeks prior to your event. Applications submitted later will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Where can I get a special use permit application?

  • Print and complete the application online, OR
  • Call your Missouri Department of Conservation regional office and request to speak with the area manager for the area of which you have interest.

Where do I submit my special use permit application?

  • Mail the completed application to your Missouri Department of Conservation regional office, OR
  • Email the completed application to the area manager (call the regional office for specific contact information for the area of which you have interest).

When will I find out if my application is approved?

Most applications are processed within two weeks.

Applying for a mobility device special use permit

Special use permits may be granted under certain circumstances to make MDC’s conservation areas and properties more accessible to people with mobility disabilities. When deciding to issue a special use permit, the department considers:

  • The type, size, weight, dimensions, and speed of the device;
  • The facility’s volume of pedestrian traffic (which may vary at different times of the day, week, month or year);
  • The facility’s design and operational characteristics (e.g., whether its service, program or activity is conducted indoors, its square footage, the density and placement of stationary devices, and the availability of storage for the device, if requested by the user);
  • Whether the legitimate safety requirements can be established to permit the safe operation of the device in the specific facility; and
  • Whether the use of the device creates a substantial risk of serious harm to the immediate environment or natural or cultural resources.

Under MDC’s policies, area managers are authorized to allow, condition, or deny special use permits for mobility device access to closed roads or off-road so long as the determination is based on the assessment factors described above, including documentable safety, facility or natural resource management purposes.

Other factors include search and rescue operations, weather conditions, ground conditions, seasonal closure of areas for wildlife or habitat protection, and hunting programs. Managers may also limit how other power-driven mobility devices and motor vehicles can be used to scout or retrieve game.

In This Section

Special Use Permit Application (pdf, 95 KB)

You will need a special use form to trap on conservation areas, have group events, place geocaches, or use certain powered mobility devices.

Check the Code

This is NOT a legal document. Regulations are subject to revision during the current year.
Refer to the Wildlife Code.

Permit Information

Before you hunt or fish this season, make sure to buy your Missouri hunting and fishing permits. General information about permits.

Landowner Permit Quiz

Take this simple quiz to determine if you qualify for a no-cost or reduced-cost landowner permit.

See if you qualify for landowner permits.


If you're a Missouri resident and in the National Guard or reserve forces, you may be eligible for reduced cost permits or exceptions.
Learn more about military permits.

The Conservation Permit Card

The card makes buying hunting and fishing permits easy.
Learn more about the permit card.

Apprentice Hunter Authorization

Apprentice hunters can purchase firearms hunting permits and hunt in the immediate presence of a mentor.
Learn more about apprentice hunters.

Permit Auto-Renewal

Learn more about how to enroll in the Permit Auto-Renewal Service.

Permit Auto-Renewal