General Safety Tips
- Identify your target as a legal deer before putting your finger on the trigger or drawing back your bow.
- Be aware of what is behind your target.
- Never shoot at sounds in the brush.
- Wear a safety belt or harness while in a tree stand.
- Let others know your exact hunting location and when you plan to return.
Firearms Safety Tips
- Test your unloaded gun to make sure it is mechanically sound.
- Wear both a hunter-orange hat and a hunter-orange shirt, vest, or coat when walking to and from your hunting location, and while hunting.
- Never climb a tree with a loaded gun.
- Always point the gun in a safe direction.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
Archery Safety Tips
- Inspect your bow limbs for damage before hunting.
- Inspect your bow string, and replace if it shows signs of wear.
- Keep your arrow and bow pointed towards the ground as you nock it.
- Never draw your bow if another hunter is in front or behind your target.
- Never pull and release the string without an arrow.
- Never over-draw your recurve bow.