Hunting Permit Information

Everyone who hunts or traps in Missouri must have an appropriate hunting or trapping permit or qualify for an exemption. Browse requirements and exceptions.

Proof of hunter education certification

  • If you plan to purchase a Missouri firearms permit or you are acting as an adult mentor, you MUST first complete an approved hunter-education certification program and provide proof of completion. Browse our Hunter Education Requirement page for details, exemptions, and more info about proof of certification.
  • All hunters, unless exempt, must carry their hunter-education card or a permit with their hunter-education number on it while hunting with a firearm. The Missouri Conservation Heritage Card with a hunter-education number on it is also acceptable.

Get authorized to try hunting before becoming hunter-education certified

To help introduce adults to hunting, the Department allows hunters age 16 and older who are not hunter-education certified to hunt with firearms in the presence of a properly licensed adult (age 18 and older) mentor. Visit our Apprentice Hunter Authorization page to learn more.

Permits are not licenses to trespass!

Your hunting or trapping permit does not authorize you to trespass on private lands. Remember that your behavior reflects on all hunters and trappers. Respect the rights of private landowners.